Highlights

Yankees’ Judge Drops a Bombshell: Is His Elbow Finally Ready to Dominate Again?

Yankees' Judge Drops a Bombshell: Is His Elbow Finally Ready to Dominate Again?

The Yankees’ latest spring updates bring a mix of relief and reflection as the team inches closer to another season filled with high expectations. Aaron Judge, after battling elbow issues last summer that sidelined him during critical moments, is now cleared by medical staff and feeling better than ever. “It’s feeling great,” Judge confidently shared, a statement that should ease any lingering fan worries about their captain’s health. Meanwhile, the team’s bullpen strategy throws a curious curveball. Once the home to elite arms like Aroldis Chapman and Andrew Miller, the Yankees have shifted gears, relying less on blockbuster signings for their relievers and more on savvy trades and emerging talent. It’s a tactical choice that has sparked some debate but one Brian Cashman insists isn’t policy-driven, even as the free-agent market remains largely untouched. And speaking of fresh talent, the Yankees farm system continues to show promising top-tier prospects, led by George Lombard Jr., even if the depth beyond the stars leaves fans wanting a bit more. Lastly, pitching prospects like Cam Schlittler are quietly making a comeback from minor setbacks, sending a hopeful ripple through the camp. All these threads weave together a fascinating prelude to what could be an intriguing season for New York’s cherished squad. LEARN MORE

New York Post | Greg Joyce: Aaron Judge’s barking elbow was a major concern for the Yankees last summer, with the ailment costing the captain some time and production in July and August. But after the season, team doctors told Judge he wouldn’t require surgery, and Judge says his elbow is now fully good to go. “It’s feeling great,” Judge said on Monday. “Haven’t had any issues so far. I think we’re ready to go. I’m throwing out there confident”.

New York Daily News | Gary Phillips: It wasn’t too long ago that the Yankees were known for their super bullpens. A decade ago they trotted out the trio of Aroldis Chapman, Andrew Miller, and Dellin Betances, and a few years later they added big signings like Zack Britton and Adam Ottavino to the mix. These days, though, the Yankees don’t spend on top dollar relief pitchers, preferring to stock the bullpen with a mix of trade acquisitions and lower-profile upside arms. Brian Cashman says it’s not team policy to avoid top relievers on the free agent makers, but the proof is in the pudding: the Yankees haven’t made a significant free agent relief signing since giving $27 million to Ottavino seven years ago.

Advertisement

FanGraphs | Eric Longenhagen: We’ve got another Top 100 prospect list for your perusal, this time from FanGraphs. Konnor Griffin comes in at number one, the Pirates infielder solidifying himself as the best prospect in the sport. As for the Yankees, it’s the same story we’ve heard across the board this offseason, as there’s some really exciting premium talent at the top of the farm system, but a lack of depth after that. George Lombard Jr. is unsurprisingly the top-ranked Yankee, though Longenhagen and Co. are a bit lower on him than some other prospect hounds, putting Lombard at 49. Elmer Rodríguez, Dax Kilby, and Carlos Lagrange follow Lombard in short order.

SNY | Tom Hanslin: A small but important injury update here, as Cam Schlittler threw a bullpen session yesterday. The right-hander was dealing with a back inflammation last week when he reported to camp and had been throwing off flat ground, so it’s good to see that he’s right back throwing off a mound just a few days later. “Went good. Something we weren’t overly concerned about, just being where we are in the calendar,” Aaron Boone said. “Just wanted to make sure it didn’t turn into something bigger. Everything went well, accordingly.”

Post Comment

WIN $500 OF SHOPPING!

    This will close in 0 seconds

      This will close in 0 seconds

      RSS
      Follow by Email